November 16, 2017
Prevent Injuries When Moving
If you have decided to forego hiring a professional mover to transfer your belongings to a storage unit, roll up your sleeves. Moving is not only physically draining — it can be risky. You might cut costs by doing the moving yourself (or with friends), but if done improperly, a visit to a doctor could be the result.
Here are some tips to prevent injuries on moving day:
Back strains are painful, and can cause long-term physical problems. The back is usually the first to suffer when moving items to a storage unit or new location:
- Bend knees. Squatting distributes the weight of an item to the torso, legs, and thighs, rather than placing the stress on the back alone.
- Try a “reacher tool.” Use a tool to reach for lighter items at the bottom of the lowest drawer or in a cupboard — without having to bend.
- Use a forearm forklift. This tool allows you to become your very own forklift, so you don’t have to bear the entire weight of an item you’re lifting.
- Avoid overloading boxes. Packing boxes to the brim to save on space may be tempting, but this is a risky decision to make. Lifting heavy, overstuffed boxes can cause back strains or foot injuries.
Hand and Foot Injuries
When belongings drop from hands or boxes, hands and feet can suffer. Here are some ways to prevent injury:
- Cut nails short. To keep a firm grip, short nails are key. Long nails break (painfully) and can cause you to drop fragile (or heavy) items.
- Wear gloves. Work gloves are designed to protect hands from scratches and cuts. They’re made with heavy-duty materials and often have rubber grips to prevent items from slipping from your hands.
- Wear safety shoes. Open-toe sandals or flip-flops are a definite “no-no” when transferring property to a storage unit. Not only can exposed feet be cut or injured, you might trip and end your moving experience in the emergency room.
It is worth investing in a secure storage facility unit to hold your possessions — it’s equally important to protect yourself while moving them there. Centron Storage is a storage unit provider in North York and Toronto; you can count on us to keep your items safe. Call us today at (647) 749-1394 to secure the right unit for your storage needs.