1. Start by thoroughly inspecting your storage space. Pay close attention to the door(s). They should be in good working condition.
2. Think about packing accessories you will need to properly secure your belongings while in storage. For example: paper, boxes (including wardrobes), rope, bubble wraps, tape, mattress and furniture covers, and skids.
3. In order to avoid tipping or collapsing, make sure that all boxes and containers are filled to their capacity.
4. For easy lifting, pack all heavy items such as books or tools in small boxes. They should be stored at the bottom of piles.
5. To avoid damage to your fragile goods, wrap them up in bubble wrap and store all light items near the top of piles of your belongings.
6. A good idea is to label all boxes and containers and keep the list at home. The list is useful to locate your goods while in storage.
7. Before placing your goods in storage, place pallets on concrete floors to allow proper ventilation. For the same reason leave space around the perimeter.
8. Pack your storage cautiously giving careful thought to the weight and size of boxes or containers. Remember, that the unit’s height is also available for storing.
9. Be sure to leave a walkway to the back of the storage space to allow easy access.
10. Think carefully about which items you are going to use most often and place them near the door or front of the unit.